Getting older definitely has it’s perks. You get smarter, wiser…and talk about life experiences. But while you’re working on your inner self, your face has another agenda; giving into the elements and the gravitational pull. I still remember my first facial. I used a company like the Facials from Beauty Booker and I absolutely loved it. From that moment onwards I knew I wanted to give it a go myself.
So, to help you find a balance between nurturing your inner and outer self I found some incredible age defying remedies that are as flavorful as they are potent. Just think, as well as going for a relaxing facial at your favorite spa like Jeunesse Medi Spa, you’ll now be able shop for facial products in the produce aisle. And if you’ve ever faced the dilemma of choosing a store bought beauty product vs. a homemade one, here’s are some recipes that will make even mother nature proud. If you want to take the process further you could always look up Facial Rejuvenation Surgery in NYC, whilst it might seem scary, I’ve had friends who swear by it. We’ve got to fight gravity somehow!
Reverse the clock with an easy to make Hydrating Avocado Mask:
If you have sensitive, dry skin this mask is for you. You may already know the edible benefits of avocado well when applied to your delicate face, the monounsaturated fats, Vitamin B, and Vitamin E in avocado become a great source of moisturize and rejuvenation, as well. This mask is especially great in the summer months because it helps replenish the moisture the sun takes away.
What do you need:
3-4 drops of almond oil
How to make:
1. Mash the avocado into a paste.
2. Add the almond drops and mix until the texture is consistent.
3. Massage the paste into you skin and let it sit for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Soothe your face with an Egg White and Yogurt Mask:
Models swear by it and a two year old can make it. This no-excuse mask will soothe the unruliest of skin types. Not only does this formula work but it is a lot of fun to make and apply.
2 eggs, just the whites
2 tablespoons of yogurt
How to make:
1. Separate the egg whites from the eggs and place them in a bowl.
2. Drop two tablespoons of plain yogurt in with the eggs.
3. Mix and apply to the face.
4. Keep this on your face for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water. (Don’t use hot water on your face as it breaks the capillaries just under the skin).
5. As a final touch, apply a warm washcloth to your face.
Get rid of oily skin with a Strawberry Facial Mask:
When I was little girl I remember my mother walking around the house with what seemed like a fruit salad on her face. Little did I know, fruits such as strawberries are a great natural cleanser and astringent – perfect on oily skin. These tasty red berries exfoliate and refresh your skin with an active ingredient, salicylic acid which gets rid of dead skin cells. So, just in case you oily skin girls were starting to feel left out, here’s how you can make your skin look soft, supple and oil-free.
Ripe Strawberries (Preferably organic. Strawberries are very porous and absorb all of the chemicals and pesticides which will in turn be soaked up by your skin).
How to do it:
1. Get a handful of strawberries, enough to cover your face.
2. Mash them well until they turn into a smooth paste but not become too watery.
3. Apply the mixture to your face and neck evenly with your fingers, staying away from the eyes. *Do not use this facial in cases of sunburn or if you have sensitive skin as it will irritate it.
4. Leave the mask on for 20 minutes.
5. Wash the fruit off your face with cold water and pat dry.
6. You can apply this mask twice per week or in case of a breakout.
The key to making any of these masks effective is relaxation. Once the mask is applied you can meditate or simply lie down and think happy thoughts. Homemade facial masks are also a fun way to get the girls together for a night of pampering or simply to get some must needed serenity away from the outside world. Whichever you choose, enjoy experimenting and happy facial making, ladies!